Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The ceiling is falling

"911! Come home NOW!!!"

This was the text message that I read on my phone while I was sitting in a chair at the hair salon, with foil highlights all over my head.

Now, if you have kids you know this is not a message you want to see. I immediately imagined blood and guts and severed limbs. I called David to see what was going on, and he said that there was a leak in the bedroom and I needed to come home to help him.

Interesting. At this point, David had already been traveling to New Jersey for work for a couple weeks. He just happened to be home for the weekend, and I was taking (what was supposed to be) a little time to myself. I'd been on my own with the kids for a while already, and if that leak had happened either two days before or one day later, I would have been on my own. But I felt bad for my poor little hubby. He's not used to having to deal with the kids by himself when disaster strikes! I couldn't leave the salon yet, but I called in for reinforcements to help him out. I called Phil and Jamie to see if one of them could either go help him with the kids or the leak. Phil was on his way! When I told Dave, he said, but I need help with the kids! So I called Becki. She also dropped everything and rushed to our aid.

I ended up asking the stylist to put me under the dryer so it would go faster, and explained the situation. After she washed my hair, I left to go home and help. There wasn't much we could do. Luckily Phil brought Gwen to keep Maxwell busy, and Becki saved a sleeping, messy Darian from her highchair.

Having the leak ruining the paint in the room I had JUST had painted several weeks before was definitely not something I enjoyed seeing. But it answered my question. How was I going to do all this?

We ended up taking the condo off the market while we got the mess taken care of (which I will not bore my readers with the details! Let's just say it took a month and the MegaBitch to get it all done!).

In the meantime, Dave left that night to head back to New Jersey and I was left to continue my super to-do list...which included planning the most amazing, special, super fun-filled Dinosaur Rumpus in town! Maxwell's birthday was right around the corner, and we were kind of treating it like our own going away party. It was, after all, going to be our last big celebration before the move.

Can someone please add 5 more hours to each day? Thanks.

No comments: